Length: Full Year (20 SACE credits)
Contact: HASS Leader
Grade C or higher in Stage 1 English or Stage 1 English Literary Studies.
Satisfactory completion of Stage 1 Legal Studies is recommended.
Stage 2 Legal Studies focuses on the operation of Australia’s legal system including:
- Sources of Law
- Dispute Resolution
- The Constitution (Optional Topic 1)
- When Rights Collide (Optional Topic 2).
Students learning includes:
- Understanding legal principles and processes
- Understanding ways that legal systems balance competing interests or tensions
- The development of civic literacy
- The development of skills in critical analysis and application of legal principles, processes and concepts to case studies, the law and or issues
- Communicating and evaluating legal arguments to make informed recommendations.
Students’ performance will be determined according to the subject’s Performance Standards, as outlined by the SACE Board. Grades A+ to E- will be used for reporting purposes.
- Folio (50%): Four tasks
- Inquiry (20%): One individual Inquiry into a contemporary legal issue of student interest.
- Examination (30%).